Monday 9 April 2012

7th April part two

I returned home to drop off the ringing gear and went straight back out with the 'big' camera to make the most of the better light as it wasn't due to last. My main aim was to photograph the Song Thrush nesting in the net ride but happy to take any other opportunities along the way.

Whilst walking through Orrell Water Park a Great Crested Grebe gave me the first chance of a shot if rather distant. The resulting photograph was taken at 450mm and as been heavily cropped but the almost perfect reflection is quite pleasing.

Great Crested Grebe (Podiceps cristatus)

When I got back to the net ride the Song Thrush was still sitting tight. Hopefully they will be successful and give me the opportunity to photograph the nesting attempt through to fledging.

Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos)

Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos)
In a nearby area of mature woodland the first Bluebells were well in flower, the earliest I have ever seen. Similarly adjacent fields of oil seed rape are already turning yellow and will be in full flower before the end of the month.


Bluebells (Hyacinthoides non-scripta)

Oilseed Rape 7th April
Whilst photographing the bluebells I noticed a large crane fly spp crawling over the vegetation. On closer inspection there were three. Two males were fighting over a much larger female. I don't think I have seen this species before and I may be able to identify them as they seem well marked. These photographs were taken with a compact camera which I find more convenient for macro photography. After the fight both males tried to pair with the female.

female crane fly spp.

mating crane fly spp.

On my way home back through the water park I noticed a Moorhen that was clearly brooding some chicks. The other adult was searching for small items of food which were passed to the brooding bird and then the brooding bird passed them on to the chicks or they were passed direct to the chick if it ran out.

Brooding Moorhen (Gallinula chloropus)
 
Moorhens (Gallinula chloropus)
When the brooding bird went off to find food I could see there were six chicks that soon followed their parents into the reeds.




Not a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment