Saturday 6 October 2012

Yellow-browed Warbler brightens a quiet day


The fairly light winds tempted me to try a late afternoon and evening ringing session at Scotman’s Flash to see if there were any late Reed Warblers present or Swallows coming to roost. I only put up two nets; one in the reeds and another in a patch of willows within the reeds. 


Willow net ride
The net in the willows produced the only birds starting with a Chiffchaff, a Blue Tit and two Willow Tits. The second Willow Tit had just gone in the net when I noticed a small warbler flitting in the crown of the large willow at the side of the net. As soon as I got my bins on it I was blown away by a stunning Yellow-browed Warbler illuminated by the last rays of the day’s sunshine. I watched it for about 15 seconds before it was lost to view. I scanned the bush for a minute or so but couldn’t relocate it and then realised why; it was in the bottom of the net.


Yellow-browed Warbler (Phylloscopus inornatus)


Yellow-browed Warbler (Phylloscopus inornatus)

Scotman’s Ringing Totals
Chiffchaff 1
Yellow-browed Warbler 1
Blue Tit 3
Willow Tit 1 (+1)
Total 7 

I had been out ringing earlier in the day at Longshaw but packed up after a couple of hours as the ringing was so slow. There was virtually nothing passing overhead despite the clear blue skies and very little in the bushes. 

Longshaw Totals
Goldcrest 2
Chiffchaff 1
Treecreeper 1
Blackcap 2
Coal Tit 1
Robin 1
Total 8
Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris)

No comments:

Post a Comment