Saturday 2 February 2013

Just mooching

I got up this morning to find the Fieldfare was still visiting the garden. It has been coming to feed on apples every day even though the last of the snow melted at the beginning of the week. It has been semi resident for almost two weeks now and has been getting through at least two apples each day. I thought it would have moved on by now and it will be interesting to see how long it stays for.

Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
A bit of wing and leg stretching

After taking an excessive number of photos of the Fieldfare I went for a mooch on Orrell Water Park. It was very sunny but there was a significant wind chill making it feel quite cold. I had literally just entered the park when I noticed a Collared Dove collecting nesting material. It was collecting fine birch twigs from the same area but its efforts were interrupted by dog walkers. This is the first nest building I have recorded this year.

Collared Dove (Streptopelia decaocto)
I wandered up to the reserve area where a Kingfisher showed quite well for a while. Not well enough to get photos of the quality I would have liked but much better than I have managed previously. The sunlight was quite harsh and twigs often partially obscured the view or cast a shadow on the bird. The sun being harsh is my excuse for getting the exposure wrong and it doesn't help that I don't shoot in RAW.




Kingfisher (Alcedo atthis)
A helicopter disturbed proceedings on one occasion but at least it was rather colourful whirlybird.



No comments:

Post a Comment