Friday 5 July 2013

Soaking up the rays

This afternoon I noticed 2 Blackbirds in the garden that were taking full advantage of the glorious weather. They spent quite a bit of time sunbathing and adopted various postures in the process. This is not uncommon behaviour but it is the first time if have seen 2 sunbathing in close proximity to each other.

Blackbirds sunbathing

Adult female Blackbird

Juvenile male Blackbird
I haven't done much ringing recently but I did spend a few hours on various stretches of the river Douglas today. There wasn't much moving but I did catch and ring a juvenile Grey Wagtail and Kingfisher. I also retrapped an adult Dipper.

Kingfisher being released.
Perhaps the most interesting thing I saw on the river was a Water Vole. I haven't seen one in ages and it is good to see they are still hanging on.

Tomorrow I am going to try and get up early to go ringing in one of the reed bed sites. There should be a few juvenile Reed and Sedge Warblers around now and hopefully a few interesting retraps or controls amongst the adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment