Monday 8 October 2012

Sunday 7th October

Yesterday started off with a morning ringing session at Haigh. I had been baiting the site for a few days so I knew I was guaranteed a few birds but Goldcrests were the main interest. On arrival I heard my first Redwings of the autumn and at first light 60 or so flew out of the canopy.
 
I put up two nets; one near the feed and another near a large area of brambles that still have a good crop of blackberries in the hope of a few Blackcaps. I put on a Goldcrest lure and 6 new birds were caught within a few minutes. After that initial little rush the morning progressed in a steady fashion.

Overhead there was very little southerly passage apart from a few Meadow Pipits, House Martins, Swallows and Chaffinches. A few more Redwings blogged about in random directions along with one or two Song Thrushes but that was about it for visible migration. A very poor showing for the time of year and probably not helped by rolling banks of fog that affected the region.

Goldcrest topped the ringing totals with 12 new birds but two Jays made the biggest impression; on me at least. The biggest surprise was the complete absence of Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps.
 
 
 
 
Yes they really do hurt and they both got my finger in the same place.
 
Haigh Totals
Goldcrest 12
Coal Tit 6 (+3)
Great Tit 6 (+3)
Blue Tit 5 (+3)
Nuthatch 3 (+1)
Goldfinch 3
Chaffinch 2
Robin 2
Jay 2
Lesser Redpoll 1
Wren 1
Total 43 new (+10 retraps)
 
I briefly called at my mothers on my way home and the calls of Goldcrests tempted me to put up a net in the garden which added another two and a Dunnock to the day’s total.

Adult female Goldcrest


Adult Goldcrest tail feather shape

On getting home I rounded off the day trying for a few Goldfinches in the garden in near perfect conditions. Another 19 birds were added to the ringing totals including 13 new Goldfinches. 

Final ringing totals for the day were:
Goldcrest 14
Coal Tit 6 (+3)
Great Tit 6 (+3)
Blue Tit 5 (+3)
Nuthatch 3 (+1)
Goldfinch 16 (+2)
Chaffinch 2
Robin 3
Jay 2
Lesser Redpoll 1
Wren 1
Collared Dove 1
Dunnock 2
House Sparrow 1
Total 63 new (+12 retraps)

No comments:

Post a Comment