Thursday 6 June 2013

Flaming June

Since my last post a singing bird has got my attention 'big time' as it is well outside its normal breeding range. I will check the site again tomorrow and post more details at an appropriate time. If I think it could be breeding you may have to wait a little while and no it wasn't a Waxwing. Early June is silly season in birding terms and can produce some very unusual records, although they are often one or two day wonders as this bird may prove to be.

I was home from work early this evening so I grabbed the camera and took the dog for a walk to take advantage of the glorious weather. I am lucky in where I live in that there is a park across the road and open countryside beyond. The Great Crested Grebes on the park's top lake have 4 well grown young and the adults are having no problem in supplying food.



Shaking off excess water after diving.


A little further on and just outside the park I came across my first dragonflies of the year in the form of a female and male Broad-bodied Chaser. I haven't seen any damselflies yet so I didn't expect to come across these beauties.

Female Broad-bodied Chaser (Libellula depressa)

Male Broad-bodied Chaser (Libellula depressa)

Male Broad-bodied Chaser (Libellula depressa)
Yes the dog did get a walk although he had to be patient now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment