Thursday 23 March 2017

Mirror mirror on the car: part 3

The Dunnock was full of the joys of spring again this morning and doing his best to impress. I couldn't see if he was showing off to a female as he was on the far side of the car, near the hedge, and only visiting the wing mirror on that side of the car. I can only presume a female was skulking around there, somewhere.

As he was putting on a regular performance at the same wing mirror I decided to try and get some video. He was sat by the window of the drivers door when I went to the car and only flew off when I opened the passenger door to set up the camera. It only took a couple of minutes to get set up and the Dunnock returned to the wing mirror and started performing almost as soon as I went back in the house. I went out and repositioned the camera a couple of times and the bird returned almost immediately each time. Three of the best clips have been edited together and can be seen in the video below. Unfortunately the camera didn't pick up any sound through the closed window.


The car wing mirrors seem to be a big part of his courtship behaviour now so I am not going to cover them or close them in just yet but I will keep an eye on the situation. It will be interesting to see if his behaviour continues as we get further into the breeding season and if it brings him any success with the ladies.

No comments:

Post a Comment