Tuesday 26 February 2013

Waxwings not waning

I woke up a little later than usual this morning and peered out of the window to be greeted by 50 Waxwings sitting in the top of a tree across the road from the garden. There had been at least 22 feeding in the garden yesterday so I had put out around 4kg of apples last night which I had hoped would be more than enough.
 
The birds soon started feeding in the garden but they were very flighty and frequently flushed as the street was quite busy. The colour-ringed bird from Aberdeen was in the fIock along with a few birds which were only wearing a metal ring. These were probably the birds I had ringed on Saturday.
Waxwings (Bombycilla garrulus) in the feeding tree. Just part of the flock.
I had to go to work but received an email from a friend who had counted 61 mid morning. I phoned home just before lunch to be told that most of the apples had been eaten. I asked that more were put out but feared it was already too late to keep that many birds around.
  
I bought another 8kg of apples and 'borrowed' a few more sprays of cotoneaster berries on my way home this evening. I have spent around 2 hours putting out apples and generally rearranging the garden tonight so there will be plenty of food waiting for the birds in the morning. I just hope they all come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment