Friday 5 August 2016

Tree Pipits on the move.

I only had a couple of hours free this morning but I decided to make the most of it as the weather looked favourable for some Tree Pipit passage at Billinge. The first Tree Pipits were recorded going south on 4th August in 2014 and on 7th August last year so they were due. I was fairly certain I heard one calling in the distance on 1st August so today's settled conditions looked really promising and too good to miss.

I had 2 nets set in the top willows just after sunrise and things started fairly slowly with the capture of a few warblers and a juvenile Robin in the first couple of net rounds. The first Tree Pipit was heard at 06:40 and was in the net soon after. This was followed by a little rush of warblers, mainly Willow, and a few other birds then 2 more Tree Pipits were caught in the last round at 07:30.

The first of the 3 Tree Pipits caught today. All were first year birds.
The weather is looking good for tomorrow and I will have more time so hopefully I will be able to catch a few more. Now Tree Pipit passage has started it is time for me to start getting up at daft o'clock so I can get up to site and have the nets up by sunrise.

Ringing totals (retraps in brackets) for 5th August 2016 were: Goldcrest 1 (1); Willow Warbler 13 (1); Chiffchaff 1; Blackcap 3 (1); Robin 2; Tree Pipit 3; Lesser Redpoll (1). Not a bad total for the limited time available.

No comments:

Post a Comment